Are you looking for jobs that you can do at 14 years old? This article contains tips about the best jobs for 14-year-olds and hiring companies.
Are there jobs you can get at 14 years old? Yeah! There are plenty of job opportunities for 14-year-olds who want to earn extra money in their spare time. Teen jobs can include computer tasks such as programming and organizing, washing dishes at fast food restaurants, and mowing the neighbours’ lawns.
However, when you are 14, your job choices for teenagers are limited because labour laws prohibit the employment of minors in certain jobs in a bid to avoid exploitation. Expect the attention of parents, teachers and other stakeholders if work interferes with your studies.
The best jobs for teens are jobs that will allow you to work in your spare time without interfering with school work or violating your state’s child labour laws. Fortunately, most employers will let you know if you’re ineligible for a job because you’re a minor and encourage you to reapply when you’re 16 or older.
You can work as a tutor, babysitter, pet sitter, home organizer or pool cleaner in people’s homes. Opportunities are also there for you to offer online tutoring and/or freelance services. Or you can join a food service chain, local theme park or amusement park as a cleaner, server, or cashier or you can become a shop attendant.
Requirements and laws for Jobs you can get at 14-year-olds
As with any job, you must meet certain criteria in order to apply for a position. In this particular case, there are not only specific guidelines but also laws. Remember you are a minor. So it is very important to know a few things, especially as it relates to the law.
One aspect is that, for example, a 14-year-old has to work for three hours on weekdays. This is the maximum time. So if you find a business, restaurant or company that requires you to work more than four hours, it is illegal.
As for shifts, they cannot end at night. You should be done with your jobs at 7 p.m. at the latest. But if it’s a weekend, you can work up to eight hours. Keep these requirements in mind:
- if you get part-time jobs that employ 14-year-olds, the company must give you at least a 15-minute break every 2 hours (minimum).
- You can work up to 18 hours a week.
- It is legal to work less than 40 hours a week, especially if you are in school.
- You can start work after 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.
Note that if you are a minor (14 or 15 years old), you may need to provide a work permit in some states. So this is the most important requirement.
If you have questions about the last question, ask your student advisor if you can apply for jobs for 14-year-olds near you. The State Department of Labor has more information about the other things you need to know.
List of Jobs for 14-year-olds
The question is, what jobs can you get at 14 years old? There are jobs you can get at 14, and we will be listing some of those jobs below. Bear in mind that some of these jobs can be done right from where you are without needing any company to employ you.
Job as a Cashier
As a 14-year-old, you may work in retail stores and fast food restaurants around where you live to take payments, count money, issue receipts or refunds, and balance cash registers.
Work as a Tutor
If you are a good student, why not use it to earn money? As a tutor, your job is to help students focus on their studies, understand concepts and prepare for exams. You have to give students one at a time and teach specific topics.
Work as Dog Walker
For animal lovers, dog walking may be a dream job. You need to take dogs for walks and exercise. You can bring one or more dogs at the same time. The length of each dog’s walk varies according to the dog’s health and breed, as well as the client’s instructions.
Become a Lifeguard
Lifeguards work in public and private swimming pools to maintain the pool environment. Their role is to ensure that visitors follow safety rules and provide immediate emergency aid, such as CPR, before the arrival of ambulance teams.
Become a Dishwasher
When you turn 14, you probably know how to do the dishes. You can use this skill to earn money. Dishwashers often work in restaurants to clean dishes and other kitchen utensils and to properly place dishes. You are not going to do this job forever, but as a teenager, you need a few bucks to meet your little needs and also save to help position yourself for future and predictive success.
Become a Babysitter
One of the jobs readily available for 14-year-olds that offers the most opportunities is babysitting. Not only will you get it fast, but you’ll also get a good salary. You can earn between $13 and $18.
If babysitting jobs are something you think you can do, you can apply to BabySits, a community dedicated to the industry. You can also apply for jobs on Jooble for 14-year-olds without experience.
Become a Car Washer
These days, due to the advent of technology, automatic car washing is replacing manual one, however, this is still one of the best jobs to do when you are 14 years. This is a job where you can get $10-$15 an hour. Although it is popular, you may have to work hard to find it.
However, you can get material to do the job effortlessly, for example, from people living around you.
Become a Paper Delivery Person
Newspapers still offer these jobs to 14-year-olds or even more. This will help people who are 14 years and teenagers gain job experience for the future. Job applications are simple, but a work permit may be required. The fee is very small. If you are interested in newspaper delivery, check your local newspapers and see the requirements to get started.
Become a Pet Sitter
Children need the care of a babysitter while pets need the care of pet sitters. This is a great income opportunity as people usually offer this job to 14-15-year-olds. Best of all, it only needs attention and care.
In addition, it follows the legal aspects of part-time work for minors. Compensation also varies, but you can make anywhere from $15 to $18 an hour.
Become a Gardening Assistant
If you are looking for opportunities to get work experience then this job is for you. If you’re good with plants, apply for jobs as a gardening assistant in your area. You can also visit platforms like Indeed or Snagajob. Salaries range from $14 to $25, according to ZipRecruiter.
Become a Pool Cleaner
If you live in an area with large apartments, some neighbours may have swimming pools. A great alternative is to work as a pool cleaner. Since it doesn’t take much time every day, this can be an ideal job for someone who is 14 years old, especially if you have to go to school.
Just like washing a car, you can buy your own tools to boost your credibility. The job pays $10-$15 an hour and the requirements may be less than others.
Work at Fast Foods
If a teenager wants to work, the first place that comes to their mind are places like McDonald’s or Burger King. These companies employ minors and often offer good benefits. The salary depends on the company and you may have to apply via an application letter and a work permit.
Become an Office Worker
This is one of the jobs you can get at 14 years old with no experience. If you live in the financial district of your city, you can go to one of the many offices and see if they are looking for an intern or someone to help them with basic tasks. It is a well-paid job that you can do effortlessly.
Work as a Golf Caddy
As a 14-year-old, this job can pay you about $14 an hour. Sports skills are not required. All you have to do is guide the golfer through the 18 holes. This can work as an apprenticeship if you are interested in golf. If there is a place in your town that does this, you can get it. Otherwise, you can also find jobs for 14-year-olds near me on Indeed.
Become Restaurant Busser
If this is your first time, this is a job you can start as soon as possible. If you stay in this position, with time and experience you will be able to move up the restaurant ladder. The average wage is $15 an hour (depending on the state).
What are good summer jobs for 14-year-olds Near Me?
Summer vacation is a great opportunity for young people to earn extra money, especially if there is no school. The law allows you to work up to 8 hours a day and 40 hours a week when you are not in school. Here are some of the best summer jobs for 14 years old and teens that you can apply for near me:
- Ice cream scooper: As the weather warms up, more and more people come to eat ice cream in the summer. You can get a job as a scooper in a truck or at a local ice cream shop.
- Designers and programmers: Many will pay you to code or design art, crafts, signs and paintings for them.
- Lawn care services: If you like the outdoors, look for a lawn care job. Here you have to mow the lawn, water the plants and remove the weeds.
- Blogs and video blogs: Online, there are many opportunities to share information and get paid for creative work, such as blogging and vlogging. You can monetize your platform by honing your photo and video editing skills.
- Summer internship: You can earn money by participating in summer internship programs for teenagers. As an intern, you help companies succeed by developing new ideas and preparing for the future.
- Camp counsellor: Most summer camps require a teen camp counsellor who takes care of the younger kids, teaches them the basics of camping, and guides them outdoors. This job is perfect if you like the outdoors and have survival skills.
Best Companies That Offer Jobs for 14-Year-Olds Near Me
There are many companies that offer jobs to 14-15-year-olds. Some of them are:
- Burger King: Similar to McDonald’s. This is an ideal place where minors can get a job as it does not involve any dangerous tasks.
- McDonald’s: hire crew. It helps if you have a work permit approved by your parent or guardian.
- Dairy Queen: If you like ice cream, you must have visited this store. There are more than 4,000 branches across the country. So if you are 14, this is a great place to find part-time work. You can work as a cashier, cleaner and much more. If you are looking for jobs for 14 years old near me, then visit the Dayry Queen’s website for jobs available in your arear.
- Taco Bell: An American restaurant with a long history. So this is a great place to start your first job. They even have a scholarship program for those who want to pay for their college education.
- Six Flags: This is one of the most famous amusement parks in the United States. If you are 14 or 15 years old, you will find several open jobs here. Keep in mind that requirements vary from state to state. Check the Six Flags website for more information.
Also Read: 30 Highest Paid Jobs in Florida
Are there Jobs that Minors can’t do?
There are laws in the united states that protect minors. These laws clearly stipulate the kind of job they can and cannot do. If a 14-year-old is interested in a job, that is okay as there are jobs he/she can do. However, they must be aware that there are some jobs and tasks that they are not permitted to do by law.
In particular, dangerous work or physical strain that can cause injuries (of course this also applies to mental health in other cases) must not be done. Therefore, the jobs minors cannot do are related to:
- Mining and Construction.
- Excavation Jobs.
- Jobs that involve contact with explosive or radioactive materials.
- Jobs that you must do with heavy materials and tools.
- Public Utilities.
With that being said, you can tell through the listed jobs that minors are not allowed to work where they are to unload trucks or perform tasks that involve cleaning high areas such as roofs or work in a manufacturing company.
I am 14 years old and I am very good at programming. Can I get a job at my age?
If you are 14 years old and good at programming, you can contact business owners, game companies or broadcasters. You can use your skills to make websites or games to make money. However, your chances of getting a job will be dependent on your state, as employers must comply with the labour-related laws in your area.
If you can’t find jobs at 14 years, there are many things you can do to improve your chances of finding work in the future. First, expand your programming language skills to improve your job prospects. You can also add to your resume by participating in Teen Coding Contests and programs organized by global companies like Google.
Over time, you will also notice that good programmers go beyond programming languages. You need advanced mathematical, analytical, communication and interpersonal skills. They need time and exposure to develop. In short, you need to build skills in engineering and design that require more experience than just knowing a programming language.
It’s a lot of work, but laying the foundation is the best way to have your future secured.
- 15 Best Paying Jobs in Capital Goods
- 30 Best High Paying Jobs for Teens
- 10 Jobs For Degrees In Business Administration
- 10 Best Mover Companies
- 20 Highest Paying 4 Week Online Certificate Programs