Is technology a good career path? Before we attempt to answer that question, look around you. In fact, see what you are using to read this article. Whether it’s a tablet, computer or smartphone you can’t trivialise the fact that technology has taken over. With the advent of devices and systems sponsored by technology, thinking about a career in tech should not be far-fetched.
This article was written to share more about tech careers, some of the best tech careers, and how to start a tech career if you’re interested.
So focus on that and let’s get started.
How is a Career Path Evaluated?
Just before we attempt to answer the core question of this article, ‘’Is technology a good career path”
The first question we should answer is, “What makes a career a good one?”
But the answer to this question isn’t a straightforward one. It really depends on the person, what is most important to you. For some people, a good career is one that brings in a lot of money and can afford the lifestyle they want. For others, it’s a career that is safe and provides work and life balance.
To determine what is most important to you, think carefully about your overall purpose, what drives you, and where your passion lies as it will go a long way to determine whether or not you are going to do well in your career.
What Makes Technology a Good Career Path?
When it comes to technology, there are many advantages to choosing a career in this growing and evolving field.
Here are some benefits of it:
Lots of Job Opportunities
There are a lot of job opportunities that one can find in the field of technology. For example, if you a kind of person who likes to play around with web applications and development, you can become a web developer. Or if you want a career in network and information security, you can study a career in information technology.
Other tech career paths include information and network security, database administration, technical support, graphic design, systems analysis, application development, etc.
Tech has a solid Earning Potential
Technology careers tend to pay well. Of course, the salary depends on your education, knowledge level, position and location. However, according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average annual salary for computer and information technology professionals was $91,250 in May 2020. The average was $126,830. As you can see and will see in more detail below, job positions in tech are lucrative.
Challenging and Exciting Career Paths
In a technology career path and field of work, no day is like the other. This is because every day you come to work there are always new innovations, updates and challenges to explore and solve. This is why careers in technology are often exciting and inspiring.
Job Growth and Security
Considering we’re living in a digital age where tech jobs are expected to grow 13% faster than average by 2030, it’s safe to assume these roles are in high demand. This means that a degree in computer science or a related field can give you a good chance of finding a job easily after leaving school.
List of Best Careers in Technology
Now that we have discussed the reasons why you might want to pursue a career in tech, let’s take a look at some of the best careers in tech.
We have the front-end and back end-developers, but a full-stack developer is a developer who can manage both of them. Full-stack developers create server-side and client-side functions such as websites and databases.
They are proficient in multiple programming languages, database technologies, API development, and more. According to Glassdoor, a full-stack developer makes somewhere around on average $99,274.
DevOps engineers are responsible for building and testing software using automation. They are responsible for managing resources, checking how software updates perform, and monitoring network activities. According to Glassdoor, people in this tech career path earn $112,000 on average.
With so much data flowing in, out and around many organizations these days, more and more companies are depending on data scientists to help make sense of the raw data. The way data scientists analyze and present information empower business leaders and individuals to make more informed decisions. The median salary for people in this position is $74,647 according to Indeed Reports.
IoT Solution Architect
Internet of Things (IoT) Solutions Architects works with sales teams and engineers to create efficient processes using technology. For example, a solution architect may be responsible for obtaining administrative approval for the introduction of new technologies in the organization.
This is a great role for those who love the combination of business, technology and strategy. According to Zip Recruiter, the average salary for an IoT architect is $132,462.
With the fast growth of technical systems and applications, the threat of data security breaches only increases. This is why analysts and cybersecurity professionals are in huge demand.
Cybersecurity analysts protect companies’ software, devices and networks from threats and hackers. They need to understand the operation of the infrastructure and assess the risks in order to develop protection and prevention plans. According to Glassdoor, the average Cybersecurity Analyst makes around $80,078.
Tech Skills Required for a Good Career Path in Technology
Jobs in the field of technology often require individuals to have core tech skills than general skills, but both skills are necessary to succeed in the tech field.
Core tech skills you might need include:
- Data analysis
- Software development
General skills you might need include:
- Analytical skills
- Creative thinking
How to Begin Your Technology Career?
If you are one of those interested in starting a career, follow these steps to get started.
Earn a degree or certificate
Most jobs require applicants to have a bachelor’s degree. You can complete a degree in computer science, information technology or a similar field to work in tech-related jobs. Or if you are already working in the field of tech and you think you need to expand your skills and knowledge, you can get involved in a certification program.
Develop your skills
Whether you have gone to school or are studying, you should always try to advance and strengthen your skills. As mentioned earlier, this can be done by participating in a certification program. Or it could be signing up for a boot camp dedicated to your chosen field or training in your spare time.
Gain experience as a freelancer, in an internship or even in paid positions. In a web developer role, it’s great to create a portfolio to showcase your work. In other positions, you can use your experience to expand your network to get references when applying for a big job position.
Apply for a job
Armed with education and experience, the next thing you need to do is apply for a number of jobs. You need to get your CV or resume ready and be prepared to be interviewed.
Pros and Cons of Technology Career Path
There is no completely perfect career path, including careers in tech. Below, we have discussed of the pros and cons of choosing a career in the field of technology.
Pros of a Career in Tech
- There are verities of career options in tech
- One of the benefits of a career in engineering is the many opportunities available to those who follow this path. The technology industry’s specialities range from cybersecurity, application development, artificial intelligence, software development, database management etc.
- Tech careers offer flexibility
- A lot of tech workers enjoy a lot of flexibility in their work schedules and telecommuting. A 2021 study by IT research and advisory firm Gartner found that flexibility, especially when and where to work, is key to increasing the productivity of digital workers around the world.
- The field of tech is a fast pace
- A career in tech allows someone to apply their skills in a fast-paced, ever-evolving field, ensuring you’re rarely bored. If you’re a lifelong learner, you want to excel in technology because skills need to be constantly maintained and improved.
Cons of a Career in Tech
- A career in tech can be very stressful
- Stress is one of the downsides of a tech career, especially when you’re on the front lines maintaining technology. Breaches and bugs in the system are expected to happen, and it’s your responsibility to fix them as quickly as possible. If a website is attacked, down and/or not working, money and trust will be lost.
- You have to learn constantly
- While some may consider it professional, others may find it a burden to keep learning and adapting to succeed in technology. For example, you may be required to periodically need to certify for new aspects of technology, such as cloud computing and artificial intelligence as the requirements for keeping up with these ever-evolving aspects of the technology keep changing.
- There is job uncertainty
- While the demand for skilled workers is generally high, layoffs can and do happen in the industry, especially in cash-strapped tech startups. According to statistics from Crunchbase, as of mid-June 2022, more than 21,000 employees at US tech companies have been laid off since the beginning of the year. Meanwhile, some tech companies revoked job offers from new hires before they even started.
Given the great earning potential, job opportunities and how important and beneficial the field of tech is to our society, most people would agree that the answer is yes when asked “Is technology a good career path?”.
Based on your own interests and what a successful career would mean to you, it is important that you take all the time you need to discover more about the best careers in technology that will be suitable for you after you have put your primary life goals in perspective