This article contains information about the Australia Awards Scholarships 2023.
International Students who are from developing countries, specifically from countries located in the Indo-Pacific region, who want to undertake full-time study in an undergraduate or postgraduate program at participating Australian universities are welcome to apply for the Australia Awards Scholarship 2023.
This Scholarship Also encompasses the Australia Awards Africa open to African students. You will also find in this article Australia’s scholarship deadlines for specific countries.
Brief Australia Awards Scholarships Description
The Australia Awards scholarship is one of the longtime scholarships in Australia administered by the Department of foreign affairs and trade in Australia.
The scholarship was formally identified as Australian Development Scholarships, it was started in a bid to provide opportunities for international students who are from developing countries, specifically those countries that are located in the indo-pacific region to be able to undertake undergraduate or postgraduate studies at any of the participating Australian universities or Technical and Further Education Institutions (TAFE).
This scholarship also encompasses Australia Awards Africa open to students from Africa.Subtitle for this block
Why The Australia Awards Scholarships
The aim of providing this scholarship is to contribute to the enhanced development needs of countries that are partners of Australia in line with the bilateral and regional agreement.
Australian government prioritizes international and global relationships and they’ve devised means to provide help to students who are from underdeveloped countries and in turn build relationships with the countries of the students.
Australia Awards Scholarships is a foundation scholarship that has placed Australia as one of the countries in the world that are interested in helping countries that are yet to be developed. The scholarship has greatly helped students who otherwise wouldn’t have been able to fund themselves in higher education to be able to go through tertiary institutions with little or no financial burdens.
The Australia Awards Africa has helped train talented students from Africa, which has helped most of them develop their home countries.
The scholarship is offered to provide research opportunities and develop the skills of the individuals and equip them to be able to contribute to and develop their own country after graduation.
What is Australia Awards Africa for Masters and Short Courses?
The Australia Awards Africa is under the Australia Awards Scholarships. It is one of the cornerstones of the Australian Government’s Development Assistance Program for Master’s students from Africa.
It is aimed to provide adequately qualified Africans from eligible countries access to postgraduate education, training and further education opportunities. Upon returning to their workplace, Australia Awards alumni should contribute to the development of their country of origin.
There are two categories of the Australia Awards Africa: Australia Awards Scholarship for Master’s students who wants to complete a master’s degree program in Australia. And Australia Awards Scholarship Africa for short courses, for short-term specific vocational training courses in Australia and/or Africa in various development-oriented areas.
Apply specifically for the Australia Awards Africa for masters through this link or continue reading to see all the Australia wards for all international students including African students
The scholarship is hosted in Australia and can only be taken in any of the Australian institutions listed below:
- Aviation Australia
- Bond University
- Box Hill Institute TAFE
- Bureau of Meteorology
- Canberra Institute of Technology
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Central Queensland University
- Charles Darwin University
- Charles Sturt University
- Chisholm Institute of TAFE
- Curtin University of Technology
- Deakin University
- Edith Cowan University
- Federation University
- Flinders University
- Griffith University
- Holmesglen Institute of TAFE
- James Cook University
- Kangan Institute
- La Trobe University
- Macquarie University
- Melbourne Polytechnic
- Monash University
- Murdoch University
- Queensland University of Technology
- RMIT University
- Southern Cross University
- Swinburne University of Technology
- TAFE NSW
- TAFE Queensland
- TAFE SA
- Tasmanian Polytechnic
- The Australian National University
- The Gordon Institute of TAFE
- The University of Adelaide
- The University of Melbourne
- The University of New England
- The University of New South Wales (including ADFA)
- The University of Newcastle
- The University of Queensland
- The University of Sydney
- The University of Western Australia
- University College London
- University of Canberra
- University of South Australia
- University of Southern Queensland
- The University of Tasmania (including the Australian
- Maritime College)
- University of Technology Sydney
- University of The Sunshine Coast
- University of Wollongong
- Victoria University
- Western Sydney University
- William Angliss Institute of TAFE
Also Read: List Australia Scholarship to Apply for
Eligible Study Level/Field
The Australia Awards Scholarships can be taken by students who are doing the undergraduate or postgraduate program and studying a Cause that appeals to their country’s development priority areas.
Below is a list of development-related courses that is eligible to apply for the scholarship. Though your country might have some disparities, these are priority fields of study:
- Agriculture/Food Security
- Public Policy (including public sector management, public sector reform, trade, and international diplomacy)
- Environmental Management
- Natural Resource Management (including mining-related subjects)
- Technical and Vocational Education & Training (available for Short Courses only).
- Energy (including Natural Gas and Oil Technology)
- Natural Resource Management
- Transport (including Ports, Roads and Airports Management)
The scholarship opportunity is open to students from participating countries in Africa, Asia, the Pacific and the Middle East.
The Australia Awards Africa is open to African students. It the part of the Australia Awards Scholarships open to African students.
Complete Country List:
- Sri Lanka
- Federated States of Micronesia
- Fiji, Kiribati
- Marshall Islands
- Nauru, Papua New Guinea
- Republic of Palau
- Samoa, Solomon Islands
- Wallis and
Africa (Australia Awards Africa)
- South Africa
Australia Awards Scholarships General Eligibility Requirements
To be qualified to receive a scholarship, candidates must be or have these qualities listed below:
- Applicant must not be less than 18 years of age on the 1st of February of the year or starting the scholarship.
- Applicants must be citizens of one of the participating countries, as listed above. And be residing in their home country when applying for the scholarship.
- Applicants must not be citizens of Australia or hold a permanent residency in the country or be applying for a permanent visa to live in Australia.
- Applicant must not be married or engaged to a person who is or who is eligible to hold a permanent residency in Australia or New Zealand at the time of application, selection or immobilization phases. Note: residents of Niue and Tokelau, Cook Islands, with New Zealand citizenship are eligible to apply but should apply for a Student visa ([subclass 500]);
- Applicants must not be current serving military personnel.
- Applicants must not have previously been a beneficiary of a long time Australia scholarship award unless they’ve resided outside Australia twice the length of the total period of time they spent in Australia. For example, a person who has received an Australia Awards scholarship in Australia for 4 years is not eligible to apply for another Australia Awards scholarship until the person has resided outside Australia for not less than 8 years.
- Applicant should have satisfied any of the specific criteria stated by the program area or the person’s government of Citizenship (e.g. having worked a specific number of years in a particular sector).
- Applicants should be able to satisfy all the admission requirements of the specific institution at which the scholarship would be taken. This implies that the scholarship would be withdrawn from a winner if he or she does not satisfy the admission requirements of the institution he/she wants to study. This may not be known until Program Areas request a placement at selected institutions);
- Applicants must be able to meet all requirements of the Department of Home Affairs to be able to hold a Student Visa. This may imply that the Program Area may need to withdraw a scholarship award offer if the beneficiary cannot satisfy all the visa requirements;
- Applicants must not be applying for a scholarship to study for a course on an academic level lesser than he/she has already achieved, for example: when an applicant is applying for a Master’s scholarship when the applicant already holds a PhD degree); and
- Applicants should inform the coordinators in charge of the program in their area if they have any sort of connection or relationship with staff employed at the Program Areas (this includes locally engaged staff at post), our relationships with managing contractors in a bid for the application to be transparently and properly managed.
Australia Awards Scholarships Benefits
- Australia Awards scholarship would be offered to the individual throughout the period it will take for the person to complete he/her program of study specified by the specific Australian higher education institution, where the person is studying, including any other form of preparatory training.
- The following benefits generally apply:
- full tuition fees
- Return air travel. Payment of one return, economy class airfare to and from Australia, through the most direct route
- establishment allowance: A one-time payment as a contribution towards textbooks, study materials, accommodation expenses etc.
- Contribution to Living Expenses (CLE): A contribution for every fortnight to basic living expenses, paid at a specific rate determined by the department.
- Introductory Academic Program (IAP): A must program before the start of the formal academic studies that’d cover information pertaining to living and studying in Australia
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) offered for the period of the award— This is provided to cover all the student’s basic medical costs (having exception of pre-existing conditions)
- Pre-course English (PCE) fees: if deemed necessary PCE may be offered to Scholars for in-country and/or in-Australia training
- supplementary academic support may also be available to make sure a scholar’s academic success or increase their academic experience
- fieldwork (for awards on research and Masters by coursework which embeds a research component where fieldwork is a must) may be available for qualified research students for only one economy class airfare on return through the most direct route to their home country or within Australia.
This scholarship is a very large scholarship and has different application guidelines for each country. Therefore it is important that you check the application deadline of your country through this link or check the general application closing dates with respect to countries in the Scholarship Closing Date section of this content.
If you have checked the application closing date in your own country you can follow this link to see the complete application guidelines for the scholarship
Application Closing date
Through the help of the official website, we have listed the respective official deadlines for each of the eligible countries. Check out your country and its official deadline on the scholarship’s official webpage.
The general scholarship application closing date is 29 April 2023 annually and the course of study starts in 2023
Australia Awards Scholarships Frequently asked questions
Please do well to visit the participating countries page and check out the Australia Awards Policy Handbook if it would interest you to find out more about how to apply for an Australia Awards scholarship.
What can I study?
Study programs as stated must relate to your home country’s priority areas concerned with development. Thus information can be found on the participating country profiles.
What can’t I study?
Australia Awards Scholarships are not tenable for training in study areas related to flying of aircraft, military training or nuclear technology
Where can I study?
You can study at any participating Australian institution. As listed below:
Box Hill Institute TAFE
Bureau of Meteorology
Canberra Institute of Technology
Carnegie Mellon University
Central Queensland University
Charles Darwin University
Charles Sturt University
Chisholm Institute of TAFE
Curtin University of Technology
Edith Cowan University
Holmesglen Institute of TAFE
James Cook University
La Trobe University
Queensland University of Technology
Southern Cross University
Swinburne University of Technology
The Australian National University
The Gordon Institute of TAFE
The University of Adelaide
The University of Melbourne
The University of New England
The University of New South Wales (including ADFA)
The University of Newcastle
The University of Queensland
The University of Sydney
The University of Western Australia
University College London
University of Canberra
University of South Australia
University of Southern Queensland
University of Tasmania (including the Australian
University of Technology Sydney
University of The Sunshine Coast
University of Wollongong
Western Sydney University
William Angliss Institute of TAFE
Are Australia Awards Scholarships available for people who are permanent residents or migrating to Australia?
Australia Awards Scholarships are not available to students who are intending to migrate or those who have permanent residency in Australia. Awardees are to leave Australia for a period not less than two years after they’ve completed their scholarship including Awardees of Australia Awards Africa.
If a student fails to do so will result in the student having to pay for the total accrued cost spent by the scholarship award
Can I apply for Australia Awards Scholarships and Australia Awards Endeavour Scholarship?
You perhaps may apply for other Scholarship awards however, recipients of the Australia Awards Scholarships at the same time is not to hold any other Australian government scholarship
Can I apply for a scholarship award if I’m intending to migrate to Australia or if I have permanent residency in Australia?
No. Australia Awards Scholarships are not available to students who are intending to migrate or those who have permanent residency in Australia. Awardees are to leave Australia for a period not less than two years after they’ve completed their scholarship. If a student fails to do so will result in the student having to pay for the total accrued cost spent by the scholarship award.